Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Highs and Lows in Traffic Noise in the Village of Justice


So far April has been the quietest month this year in terms of traffic noise in the Village of Justice, IL.  It comes as a surprise as up until the middle of the month it had higher than normal traffic noise followed by a few weeks straight of bellow average noise.

May, however has already shown to be a louder month (God, I truly hope it changes).  The Village of Justice does have some promising qualities e.g. property with large plots of land, nice neighbors, quiet local traffic.  It also has lots of things that need work too e.g.  Loud traffic from the larger roads, sub par schools (before I hear anything- I am a thesis paper away from a Masters in Education), little to no sidewalks, almost no businesses for walking and lets not forget the earthquakes from the quarry blasts!  I believe the Village is going in the right direction even if I believe nothing has been done to address the LOUD traffic noise. I also believe if the Village could tap into some of the resources e.g. make a connection to the I&M canal trail and publicize it (heck even a small store) to attract people, Permaculture in another thing I believe would attract people to this area.  We now live in a time were people are very interested in where their food comes from- and would love to have huge gardens a few chickens even a small goat.  Lets face it, I would rather listen to a rooster/goat all day apposed to LOUD traffic noise that can be unrelenting!


lately I have been very tempted to build an automated system with live data monitoring, average hourly and daily sound levels.  This would be built on a raspberry Pi 3 and combine a small weather station data with a directional mic that would rotate.  I imagine I could write code to compensate for train and plane generated sounds, but whats the fun in that!  This project, although depressing at times, has been a lot of fun.




In case you want a direct link:
I have the recorded stats for the past 400+ days!
Check the stats:
Traffic Noise of the Village of Justice IL

No comments: